Curls are back in fashion. And it’s about time, too. After decades of pin-straight hair on magazine covers, the fashion world is finally catching up and realizing that natural hair is nothing short of gorgeous.
Besides that, this also meant that a variety of curly and wavy hairstyles are back in right now. If you’re anything like me, you’re probably screaming joy because your hair is poofy and unruly and you can either look like you got an 80s perm, or straighten your hair religiously with a flat iron.
Curls and waves can make you look like a whole new person; they add dimension to your hair, frame your face gracefully, and look sexy and glamorous no matter what you’re wearing. But with all the curling tools flooding the market, you might wonder which is the best one out there.
I’m here to tell you that the Hot Tools Signature Series Gold Curling Iron is a force to be reckoned with as it can style your hair in countless curly and wavy hairstyles, lasts for ages, and is used by professionals everywhere.
Intrigued? Find out more in this Hot Tools Curling Iron review, where I take a long look at this curling iron, why it’s so great, and how you can use it to get perfect curls every time!
How Do Curling Irons Work?
Ever wondered how we use heat when straightening, curling, and crimping hair? What’s up with that?
Here’s how it works: hair is shaped by proteins (like keratin), oils, and more importantly, hydrogen bonds. These hydrogen bonds can be broken by heat and chemicals, and hair can be manipulated once the bonds are broken.
Using tools like a curling iron help the hydrogen bonds reform in a certain way, making it possible for your hair to straighten or curl up.
The shape of a curling iron lets your hair form the ringlets, spirals, and waves. The heat breaks down the bonds at first.
Then, when you hold the hair in a particular way around the iron, the bonds reform in the new shape. These new bonds are temporary and usually last for a while until you wet your hair.
Curling Iron vs Curling Wand: Who Wins?
Wondering if the two can be used interchangeably? They are actually two different tools with slightly different functions.
- A curling iron has a clasp that is used to press down on the curls and create a more structured and polished ringlet. On the other hand, a curling wand has no clasp and creates looser, more natural-looking curls.
- When using a curling iron, you should hold it with the cord facing down. But with a wand, you generally hold it with the cord facing up.
Curling Iron Pros:
- Creates uniform curls.
- Curls will be smooth, shiny, and frizz-free.
- The curls will last longer.
Curling Iron Cons:
- Takes a little more time to use.
- Not the best option for a more natural look.
Curling Wand Pros:
- Quick and easy to use.
- Gives more natural-looking results.
- Lots of different kinds of wands are available.
Curling Wand Cons:
- Results last for a shorter time.
- Not easy to use on shorter hair.
Why Go for Hot Tools?
Hot Tools has been a popular brand for hairstyling for years now. Customers love their stylers and salon professionals use them often. The reason?
Hot Tools has a range of curling irons with different barrel sizes, each of which can get you different types of curls. There are other reasons why this brand has a large cult following, but we’ll get into those later. These are some of the barrel sizes that the styling brand has to offer:
- Hot Tools 3/8 Curling Iron has a skinny 9mm barrel. It is recommended for people with short hair and creates tight spiral 3C curls with a good deal of shrinkage.
- Hot Tools Curling Iron 3/4 inch has a slightly larger barrel and is great for more structured, vintage curls that are spiral and have texture.
- Next, the Hot Tools Gold Curling Iron 1 inch is perfect if you want just a hint of a curl in your locks. It is perfect for a lowkey, fun look, and pairs well with casual, summery outfits.
- Hot Tools 1.25 curling iron is slightly larger and creates a 2C curl that is loose and bordering on wavy territory. Want your hair to look chic and fun without losing any of the length? This Hot Tools 1 ¼ inch Curling Iron is the styling tool for you.
- Like lots of volume in your hair? Then you’ll love the Hot Tools 1.5-Inch Curling Iron. This tool will give you beachy waves that look wonderful when paired with any kind of outfit, glam, or casual. The Hot Tools Curling Iron 1 ½-inch is a must-have for people who prefer a wavy style for their everyday look.
- Hot Tools Curling Iron 2 inch is for those of you like a simple, no-fuss wavy look that you can pull off in minutes. This is the largest barrel you can get, at least until the 3-inch curling iron is invented.
- Lastly, Hot Tools 24K Gold Curling Iron is gold plated and is meant for long-lasting curls on longer hair.
Hot Tools Curling Iron Review: What Makes It Awesome
Size options aren’t the only things that make Hot Tools Curling Irons so great. Here’s why I found this curling iron worth getting:
There are many curling irons out there that take ages to heat up. Not this one. This curling iron can reach your target temperature in just 30 seconds. Furthermore, once it heats up, it stays hot so you don’t have to crank up the temperature.
As a result, the temperature stays consistent and you get the same results every time you want to curl your hair.
Suits All Hair Types:
This curling iron is safe to use on all kinds of hair. Whether your hair is straight and fine or textured and wild, this Hot Tools curling iron will work on your hair. Moreover, it is safe to use one damaged or chemically treated hair.
However, it is important to keep an eye on the temperature. If your hair is damaged and fragile, don’t go higher than 280°. For normal and wavy hair, stick to 330° and 380° respectively. But if your hair is thick, coarse, and textured you can go as high as 430° without harming your hair.
Easy to Use:
The iron is remarkably easy to use because you just need to plug it in, wait for it to heat up, and then start curling sections of hair around it.
Furthermore, it has a soft-touch grip that makes it much more comfortable to hold for a longer time. The power cord is 6-feet tall and tangle-free, so you can move around freely when doing your hair.
Delivers Great Results!:
What makes this curling iron so amazing is that it works so well every single time. The iron makes perfect curls or waves and it doesn’t leave your hair flat and lifeless. Best of all, there won’t be any kind of frizz once you’re done!
Your curls will be smooth and bouncy without a trace of roughness or stray flyaways. This curling iron makes your hair look like you spent hours at a salon getting it curled by pros!
Some heat styling tools have issues because of the temperature fluctuating. They heat up more than the required temperature, which in turn damages the hair and can even cause burns and other injuries.
However, this curling iron has excellent temperature control. Besides staying at the selected temperature, you can also increase or decrease the temperature whenever you need to.
Despite its popularity, this Hot Tools Curling Iron is easy to find. Ulta has the Hot Tools Curling Iron and you can also find it on Amazon. And of course, you can get it (and many others) on the Hot Tools website.
- Dimensions: 1 x 1 x 1 inches
- Weight: 1 pound
- Manufacturer: Hot Tools
- Heats up fast: there’s no need to wait half an hour for the curling iron to reach the desired temperature. This reduces the time taken to curl your hair.
- Comes in many different sizes so you can easily select the curler needed for specific curl patterns and styles.
- The temperature is consistent and easily controlled.
- Lightweight and portable so you can easily take it with you when traveling.
- Creates buoyant, long-lasting curls and waves that are smooth and free from frizz.
- Easy to use. It has a comfortable and soft grip as well as a long cord that gives you lots of freedom to move around when styling your hair.
- Suits all hair types and is safe for damaged hair.
- Easily available at most retail sites.
- It is rather expensive but since it gives you salon-like styling results, I’d consider it worth the price.
Reason for Recommending:
Haircare and styling products should be vetted very carefully. Subpar styling tools can cause irreversible damage and heat tools can singe your hair right off. The Hot Tools Signature Series Curling Iron is extremely reliable and pleasant to work with.
Moreover, the temperature is just right and easily changeable. The curling iron is pleasant to work with and creates amazing hairstyles. Best of all, the iron gives you the perfect curl pattern every single time, transforming your hair into elegant curls, beachy waves, and spiral ringlets with no hint of frizz.
It won’t harm your hair at all and suits all hair types. All in all, it is the best Hot Tools Curling Iron one could hope for.
How to Work the Curling Iron
Not used to wielding a curling iron? I’ll walk you through the steps. With a tiny bit of practice, you’ll be curling your hair like a pro.
- Get your curling iron. Besides the Hot Tools Curling Iron, you can also go for the Gold N’ Hot Curling Iron, Revlon Rose Gold Curling Iron, or the Conair Gold Curling Iron.
- Make sure your hair is clean and freshly-washed.
- Blow-dry your hair and brush it out until it’s smooth.
- Then, apply some kind of heat protectant spray or serum down the length of your hair.
- Choose the right temperature for your hair and plug the curling iron into the socket and let it heat up.
- Next, separate your hair into different sections and pin them up.
- Hold the curling iron and place it an inch or so away from your roots.
- Start wrapping your hair around the iron. Wind your hair around the hot iron until the entire length has been wrapped around it. If you want tight curls, wrap it more tightly, and if you want looser curls, wind your hair more loosely. Use the clamp to hold down the hair.
- Wait a few seconds and let the heat do its magic. Keep your hair around the iron for 15 seconds and then release your hair gently from the clamp.
- Repeat these steps for each section of hair until you get perfect bouncy curls or chic beachy waves.
How to Clean Your Hot Tools Curling Iron
In case you didn’t know it, your styling tools need to be cleaned once in a while, or else they get all gross. Here’s how you can go about it:
- Make sure your curling iron is cool to touch and unplugged before you start.
- Soak a couple of cotton balls in rubbing alcohol and use them to rub the barrel clean. Gently buff off any grease or product buildup until the barrel is cleaned thoroughly.
- Use a warm, damp towel to wipe down the barrel and other parts of the curling iron. Make sure it is completely dry before you use it next.
In a Nutshell:
Curling your hair is a fun way to jazz up your appearance and add some classic glamour to your everyday style. Besides reviewing a curling iron, this Hot Tools Curling Iron review also tells you how to curl your hair and maintain your curling iron.
With this curling iron, you can get bouncy, healthy curls, bohemian waves, and every hairstyle in between.
So why not get a Hot Tools curling iron today and reinvent your hairstyle? You never know how awesome you’ll look with curled hair until you try!
More Related Product Review: